PNG To Be 18th NRL Team After $600m Pay Plan Gets Gov Tick | The Sporting Base
[google-translator]

PNG to be 18th NRL team after $600m pay plan gets gov tick

May 29, 2024

PNG to be 18th NRL team after $600m pay plan gets gov tick

The NRL has reportedly found its 18th team, with the ambitious Papua New Guinea expansion plan now a goer after the Australian government gave the team’s funding plan a big thumbs up.

The expansion deal will be mostly footed by the Australian taxpayers, with $60 million to be injected into the team for operational costs across the first 10 years of play.

Download Our FREE NRL App Here

The news was first revealed early on Wednesday, when 2GB radio host Ben Fordham said the deal had been struck. “The deal is done. The deal has been done,” Fordham said on Ben Fordham Live. “Now it’s all coming down to [the] timing of when Anthony Albanese takes it to cabinet, and I don’t think that’s going to be too far away.”

The Sporting Base understands this new PNG venture will join in 2027 or 2028 and will be tied to the PNG Hunters currently competing in the Queensland Cup.

The idea, TSB can confirm, is to play most PNG games out of Port Moresby.

This gives the fledgling football club at least three years to prepare for top-flight play in the National Rugby League—a run-time similar to when Redcliffe learned it would be the league’s 17th expansion squad. Perhaps the biggest difference there, however, is the Dolphins were already heavily active in rugby league and were richer than many NRL clubs. This PNG operation, which is as-yet without a formal name, will be building things from what is basically square one.

The biggest reason for the decision is China; PNG is widely considered by many to be the jewel of the Pacific and has long been eyed by China as a perfect chance to exert more influence over the region. The Australian government has been eager to keep the Papua New Guinea government on-side.

Enter Our Weekly $250 NRL Tipping Comp Here

With PNG joining, the NRL will do away with the regular byes teams have been taking since the Dolphins joined in 2023. An extra game will be played every round from 2027 or 2028.


Tell Us What You Think Below

May 20, 2026

Watson to join rebuilding Dragons then new Chiefs on Pezet-style combo deal

Connor Watson is about to sign with two NRL teams, agreeing to join the rebuilding St George Illawarra Dragons for a season before heading over to Papua New Guinea to play for expansion side the Read More

May 19, 2026

'It was gone': Teddy admits he thought his Origin time was over

James Tedesco is celebrating his State of Origin recall, admitting on Monday after the New South Wales team was named – and he was included over incumbent Dylan Edwards – that he had expected to Read More

May 18, 2026

Maroons Origin team named for Game 1: Ponga over Walsh, new halves combo

Reece Walsh will not play in State of Origin's series opener this year, missing selection in Billy Slater's Queensland team behind red-hot Knights fullback Kalyn Ponga, who will be playing in the Read More