AFL

“Deeply Embarrassed and Ashamed” Five Swans Banned in Stunning AFL Finals Blow

57 minutes ago - Sportingbase “Deeply Embarrassed and Ashamed” Five Swans Banned in Stunning AFL Finals Blow Image
Sydney’s premiership campaign has been rocked after five star players were suspended for the remainder of the 2026 AFL season, including the finals.

Riley Bice, Nick Blakey, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Chad Warner will not be considered for selection again this year following an incident at the team’s Melbourne hotel.

The Sydney Swans confirmed the five suspensions on Wednesday after completing internal interviews and holding a board meeting to determine the appropriate sanctions.

“The AFL is supportive of the Club’s sanctions,” Sydney’s statement read.

“We respect there is an ongoing investigation by Victoria Police and the actions we have taken today are independent of this.”

Swans “Ashamed” by Players’ Conduct

Sydney chief executive Matthew Pavlich said the club was humiliated by the behaviour of the five players.

“We are deeply embarrassed and ashamed by the poor choices of our five players,” Pavlich said.

“We are expressing our concerns deeply for the women involved.”

Club chairman Andrew Pridham said the suspended players were “extremely remorseful” but stressed the Swans needed to take decisive action.

“There is deep disappointment at the club at what has occurred and we know that many people are hurting,” Pridham said.

“This is a very sad day for us and everyone involved.

“The players involved are extremely remorseful for their actions that have breached club standards.”

Pridham acknowledged the enormous football consequences of the decision but said those consequences demonstrated how seriously the club viewed the breaches.

“The only way we can deal with it is to put our foot down incredibly hard, which we’ve done,” he said.

“To effectively torpedo our season by making decisions just tells you how serious we’re taking it.”

Sanctions Separate From Police Investigation

Victoria Police is investigating a report of an alleged sexual assault at a hotel on Wellington Parade in East Melbourne during the early hours of Monday, August 17.

“The exact circumstances are yet to be established and the investigation into the incident remains ongoing,” a Victoria Police spokesperson said.

No player has been charged or arrested, and the club’s decision does not represent a finding that any of the five players committed a criminal offence.

The Swans have made it clear that their sanctions relate solely to breaches of internal behaviour and conduct standards. Any further action resulting from the police investigation would be considered after that process has concluded.

Four players were reportedly interviewed voluntarily by police earlier this week. Participating in an interview does not establish that a person is suspected of wrongdoing, as investigators may also speak with witnesses and others possessing relevant information.

Sydney has not publicly outlined the individual role of each player in the broader hotel incident.

Premiership Campaign Turned Upside Down

The suspensions could completely reshape the AFL finals race.

Sydney has secured second position on the ladder and is guaranteed two home finals, but will now enter September without five regular members of its senior side.

Warner, Blakey and Jordon have played all 22 matches this season, while Heeney and Bice have each appeared 20 times.

Heeney and Warner are among Sydney’s most influential players, while Blakey’s rebound from defence and Jordon’s disciplined midfield work have been important throughout the campaign.

All five will miss Sydney’s final home-and-away match against North Melbourne and the club’s entire finals series.

The Swans have not ruled out further sanctions once the police investigation is completed. However, Pavlich stressed that the club would continue supporting the players despite removing them from selection.

“We’re not abandoning our players,” Pavlich said.

“We are supporting our players through this really challenging time for them.”

Sydney’s earlier statement also condemned abuse and disrespectful behaviour towards women while acknowledging the effect the allegations had on its AFLW players, staff and the wider community.

“All women deserve to be respected and feel safe,” the club said.

The football consequences are considerable, but they remain secondary to the police investigation and the welfare and privacy of the women involved.

Sydney may have placed its premiership hopes in serious jeopardy, but the severity of the sanctions reflects a club attempting to demonstrate that its expected standards cannot disappear simply because the finals are approaching.

Support is available through 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or at 1800RESPECT.

MORE AFL NEWS: Click Here To View More Of Our AFL News

Cta Bg Image

Want To Receive Our NRL News Each Week?

We can email you our NRL Content as it comes in each week

Fill in the form & you will stop seeing this each time you view our insights & tips

Related Articles

Scottie Scheffler dominates in winning the Fedex St. Jude Championship Image Scottie Scheffler dominates in winning the Fedex St. Jude Championship

The golf world has waited a while to see excellence from World number one Scottie Scheffler of Ridgewood, New Jersey. Well, we saw it this past weeken...

1 day ago
RACING: Warwick Farm Tips – Wednesday 19/8 Image RACING: Warwick Farm Tips – Wednesday 19/8

The Sandown Form Guide is set, with our expert analysis sorting through every runner to find the horses that appeal most from a betting perspective. ...

6 hours ago
PNG Chiefs Plot the Ultimate NRL Heist With Nathan Cleary and Sam Walker in Their Sights Image PNG Chiefs Plot the Ultimate NRL Heist With Nathan Cleary and Sam Walker in Their Sights

The PNG Chiefs are reportedly plotting the ultimate recruitment raid, targeting Nathan Cleary and Sam Walker before their historic 2028 NRL arrival. ...

1 day ago
Header Logo
NRL Match Centre
Form guide