Four Sydney stars have reportedly been interviewed voluntarily by police as the Swans consider stand downs that could extend into the AFL finals.
Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, James Jordon and Riley Bice were reportedly questioned on Monday following an alleged incident at the club’s Melbourne hotel.
The interviews formed part of a Victoria Police investigation into a report of an alleged sexual assault at the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne during the early hours of Monday, August 17.
Crucially, Fox Sports reports that none of the four players has been arrested and it is not suggested they are under investigation or implicated in wrongdoing.
They have been named as players who reportedly spoke voluntarily with police.
Four Swans Reportedly Interviewed
The Herald Sun, The Age and Seven reporter Caroline Wilson identified Heeney, Warner, Jordon and Bice as the four players interviewed.
The manager of a fifth player reportedly denied that his client had spoken with police.
“They were all interviewed by police today and are now making their way back to Sydney from Melbourne,” Wilson said on Seven News.
“We know that none of those players have been arrested. We know their interviews with police were voluntary.”
Being interviewed does not establish that a person is suspected of committing an offence. Police routinely speak with witnesses and others who may have information relevant to an investigation.
No player has been charged.
Victoria Police Investigation Continues
Victoria Police confirmed it is investigating a report of an alleged sexual assault at a Wellington Parade hotel.
“Police are investigating a report of a sexual assault in East Melbourne on 17 August,” its statement read.
“The incident occurred at a hotel on Wellington Parade in the early hours of the morning.
“The exact circumstances are yet to be established and the investigation into the incident remains ongoing.”
Police reportedly attended the Pullman Hotel on Monday, with uniformed and plain-clothes officers seen entering the venue and accessing rooms.
Investigators have reportedly obtained CCTV footage from the hotel as part of their inquiries.
Those details confirm that an investigation is active but do not establish what occurred or the role of any individual interviewed by police.
Swans “Extremely Shocked and Disappointed”
Sydney chief executive Matthew Pavlich addressed reporters after the club initially released a brief statement confirming several players had been involved in an alleged incident.
“We’re still piecing together exactly what’s transpired here and have our own set of internal inquiries ongoing,” Pavlich said.
“But safe to say we’re extremely shocked and disappointed this has taken place and that the players have found themselves in this situation.
“We understand the level of interest in the matter and there’s going to be lots of speculation. But given it’s a police matter right now, that is all that we can say.”
The AFL also confirmed it had been notified and that the matter was under Victoria Police investigation.
The league’s integrity unit is expected to conduct its inquiries alongside the police process.
Sydney Considering Stand Downs Before Finals
The Swans are reportedly considering whether players should be stood down while the matter is investigated.
Any disciplinary response could relate to the club’s internal standards, including reports that players were out late after the Essendon match, rather than representing a finding about the alleged sexual assault.
Wilson reported that Sydney and the AFL were considering whether a one-match absence would be sufficient, given Sunday’s game against North Melbourne will not affect the Swans’ top-two finish.
“They are definitely looking at standing the players down, quite apart from the fact that they were out late and allegedly drinking,” Wilson said.
“That is being investigated by the club.”
She suggested a suspension could potentially include at least one finals match, although no decision has been confirmed by Sydney or the AFL.
The Swans face North Melbourne at the SCG on Sunday before hosting a qualifying final in early September.
Investigation Could Overshadow Sydney’s Premiership Push
Sydney defeated Essendon by 36 points at the MCG to secure second position on the ladder and a home qualifying final.
That achievement has now been overshadowed by an investigation involving several members of the travelling party.
Heeney and Warner are among Sydney’s most influential players, while Jordon and Bice have also played important roles during the Swans’ rise into premiership contention.
Losing any of them during the finals would represent a considerable football blow.
However, the police investigation and the welfare of everyone involved are more important than Sydney’s premiership campaign.
The public facts remain limited: police are investigating a report of an alleged sexual assault, four players reportedly participated in voluntary interviews, no player has been arrested and no wrongdoing by those four has been established.
Until authorities provide further information, those distinctions must remain central to any coverage.
Support is available from 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732.
MORE AFL NEWS: Click Here To View More Of Our AFL News