NRL to step in to resolve Lomax stand-off, even as club chiefs ‘unanimous’ in opposition
January 20, 2026
The NRL will be wading into the Parramatta vs. Melbourne negotiating battle, with the game’s administrators eager to have Zac Lomax playing in the competition in 2026 — even if it goes against the wishes of 16 out of 17 clubs.
Lomax has been pushing to join the Storm for the 2026 NRL season after being allowed to leave the Eels three years before the end of his contract expiry. The agreed exit was supposed to be so the New South Wales winger could join rebel comp “R360,” but that doomed venture never got off the ground, and Lomax was left without a clear playing future.
Win $500 Cash In Our Free Giveaway Here
The key term in Parramatta’s deal to release Lomax early was he couldn’t play for any rival NRL club without their permission during his original contract period, which was to run from 2026 to 2028. However, Melbourne asked them if they’d waive that clause, and Parra flatly refused; they will only let Lomax play if they get a starting player of equal or better value.
The Storm balked at the idea — especially because Parramatta’s requested players included Jack Howarth, Xavier Coates, and Stefano Utoikamanu — and tried to pay Parramatta something close to $200,000 (which was turned down).
Now the NRL is hoping to brings thing to an end, though Eels fans won’t like them wadding in.
According to reports in the SMH, the league is now expected to force Parramatta to field and accept “reasonable offers” so that the game doesn’t lose the 26-year-old superstar to rival rugby codes through the late 2020s.
This stands in direct opposition to what a sixteen-club cohort asked the NRL to do last Wednesday. In a phone hook-up between all 17 CEOs, rival clubs demanded the NRL draw a line in the sand and block Lomax from moving to Melbourne immediately. Storm chief Justin Rodski was also called on to explain why the club was pushing so hard to sign the winger.
Are you reading on our app? Download now for the best Sporting Base experience.
Win $500 Cash In Our Free Giveaway Here
From Lomax’s camp, there’s no danger the NRL will ban the star for flirting with R360 either. Despite ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys boldly threatening 10-year bans for any players who spoke to signing representatives from the rebel league, Lomax’s agent has said V’landys had told them he’d happily welcome Lomax back.
More NRL news
‘Deliberately lowkey’: Dragons held talks with Bula after Wests turmoil
‘Stop whingeing’: Bennett bashes clubs against kick-off changes
Eels boss Jim Sarantinos last week declared: “We won’t be consenting to him signing with another club unless there’s an appropriate exchange of value. “We have had a representative player leave our roster who now wants to join another club’s roster.”
Super Rugby clubs the Western Force and ACT Brumbies have also sounded out Lomax recently.
February 18, 2026
Hunt not thinking retirement yet: 'If I feel like I can keep playing on, I will'
Ben Hunt won't be following fellow Brisbane veteran Adam Reynolds into retirement any time soon, declaring that he has "no idea" when he'll retire as he prepares for Friday’s World Club Challenge Read MoreFebruary 17, 2026
Hughes in Origin contention, with Maroons investigating when he moved to Australia
Queensland Rugby League is currently assessing the eligibility of a number of possible Queensland debutants after the NRL changed the qualification rules this week, with Storm champion Jahrome Hughes Read MoreFebruary 13, 2026
Tell Us What You Think Below