Bennett Tells Clubs Against NRL's Kick-off Changes To 'stop Whingeing' | The Sporting Base
[google-translator]

Bennett tells clubs against NRL’s kick-off changes to ‘stop whingeing’

January 13, 2026

Bennett tells clubs against NRL’s kick-off changes to ‘stop whingeing’

Wayne Bennett has spoken out strongly against the NRL clubs blocking a new kick-off rule change that would let the team scored against choose whether or not to receive the ball to restart the game, telling the holdouts to “stop whingeing.”

The NRL mooted the controversial kicking change among several rules changes for the 2026 season, with the restart update nearly immediately lambasted by fans and teams alike. Others, like tweaks to the ‘six again’ rulings and more players included on the interchange bench, will go through nearly unscathed, but the NRL world is stuck on this one.

Win $500 Cash In Our Free Giveaway Here

The idea is that having the choice of whether to kick or receive could avoid scoreline blowouts, but many — including Matty Johns, who believes it’s more a technique issue than any rule problem — think it will do more harm than good.

They’re all being “whingers,” though, in the eyes of the NRL supercoach, with Bennett today defending the change.

“You’ve got an option, so if it offends you, and you don’t like it, do what you’ve always done,” he said.

While speaking to the SMH, the Rabbitohs boss said he was a fan of the flexibility because it brings more control into the game for the team that’s conceded, while still keeping things there for any squad that wants it the same.

“This is a new rule where you can determine whether you want the ball back,” Bennett said. “Who’s to stop the team kicking off to you going short? Nobody. If you like the old rule, stick with the old rule. You’ve got the choice to say, ‘We’ll kick off. We’ve kicked off the last 100 years, and [we are] again today.’ Stop whingeing. The key to the game is possession.”

Are you reading on our app? Download now for the best Sporting Base experience.



Win $500 Cash In Our Free Giveaway Here

Bennett was one of several high-profile coaches invited to speak to the NRL about the change before Christmas. The Sporting Base understands Craig Bellamy, Ricky Stuart, Ivan Cleary, Michael Maguire, and Craig Fitzgibbon were all in attendance at the secret NRL HQ meeting as well, with the half-dozen helmsmen mostly liking the mooted changes.

More NRL news

Star signing: Perth sign Wishart, expected to play versatile star as hooker

Howarth for Lomax? Eels ears prick at mooted Storm trade

Other top names in the sport have already spoken out against the ruling, including Broncos chief executive Dave Donaghy, who emailed the NRL last week urging them not to rush through the changes. The kick-off rule, Donaghy said, representing a club consultation committee, was particularly dramatic and would be better off being tested in lower grades before an update.

The 17 club chiefs have a phone meet with NRL boss Andrew Abdo on Wednesday to air any concerns.


Tell Us What You Think Below

May 19, 2026

'It was gone': Teddy admits he thought his Origin time was over

James Tedesco is celebrating his State of Origin recall, admitting on Monday after the New South Wales team was named – and he was included over incumbent Dylan Edwards – that he had expected to Read More

May 18, 2026

Maroons Origin team named for Game 1: Ponga over Walsh, new halves combo

Reece Walsh will not play in State of Origin's series opener this year, missing selection in Billy Slater's Queensland team behind red-hot Knights fullback Kalyn Ponga, who will be playing in the Read More

May 18, 2026

Blues Origin team named for Game 1: Edwards axed for Teddy, six debutants in

Under-question coach Laurie Daley has returned to the past with his first 2026 State of Origin squad, dropping superstar New South Wales fullback Dylan Edwards for former state captain and Roosters Read More