Luai Signs On As PNG Chiefs Foundational Signing To Lead Team And Recruiting | The Sporting Base
[google-translator]

Luai signs on as PNG Chiefs foundational signing to lead team and recruiting

April 29, 2026

Luai signs on as PNG Chiefs foundational signing to lead team and recruiting

Jarome Luai has been crowned PNG Chiefs #001 player, with the four-time premiership-winning five-eighth to lead the expansion NRL team for 2028 and 2029 ⁠— and he has an option to stay at the club in 2030 as well.

Before that, Luai is expected to see out his current Wests Tigers contract through the ongoing 2026 and impending 2027 seasons before heading over to play for the 19th team in the rugby league competition.

Win $500 Cash In Our Free Giveaway Here

The team’s first signing could prove to be its biggest and brightest. Not only is Luai a proven winner and has already shown he can take any team off the mat with his leadership at the Tigers, but he’s a big enough name that he’ll attract other players to the project.

The 29-year-old is expected to use his standing in the game to convince other players to invest in the expansion project, The Sporting Base understands, and will be heavily involved in the recruitment drive.

Luai was first linked to the Chiefs after being spotted with club officials and PNG Prime Minister James Marape in Port Moresby last week. He toured facilities and attended local rugby league matches during a club-granted break. Between that visit and today, Luai worked through the contract details, trashed out money, and signed on the line.

“It was a great experience,” Luai said of his trip to Port Moresby.

“My family and my son got the chance to come with, and being there after all of that, it’s probably what got it sealed. It was important. That’s why they came with me. They had a good experience, just as I did.

“There’s some really good people behind all of that, and it’s going to work, and it’s going to be real.”

PNG Chiefs General Manager Football, Michael Chammas, said Luai’s commitment is a defining moment for the club and the nation.

“Jarome is a world-class player and proven winner. Securing his signature is a big step forward for our club and for rugby league in PNG. We said we would attract the best players in the competition, and we’ve done that. It is a proud moment for us,” Chammas said.

“He embodies the style, passion, and competitiveness we want to represent.”

“We’re thrilled to welcome Jarome and his family to the Chiefs family.”

Are you reading on our app? Download now for the best Sporting Base experience.



Win $500 Cash In Our Free Giveaway Here

The club chief also said, “I also want to wish him and the Wests Tigers all the best in the upcoming 18 months and would love nothing more for him to finish his time at the club with another premiership ring.”

More NRL news

First signing: PNG Chiefs land game’s greatest ever tryscorer Alex Johnston

‘Uncharted territory’: Storm back Bellamy even as heavyweights slide

Luai’s signing comes just a little over a day after the game’s greatest ever tryscorer, Alex Johnston, confirmed on social media he would be signing with PNG on a single-season deal for 2028 to help build the team.

PNG will follow the comp’s 18th team, Perth, in their inaugural season in 2028. Perth will start in 2027.


Tell Us What You Think Below

May 19, 2026

'It was gone': Teddy admits he thought his Origin time was over

James Tedesco is celebrating his State of Origin recall, admitting on Monday after the New South Wales team was named – and he was included over incumbent Dylan Edwards – that he had expected to Read More

May 18, 2026

Maroons Origin team named for Game 1: Ponga over Walsh, new halves combo

Reece Walsh will not play in State of Origin's series opener this year, missing selection in Billy Slater's Queensland team behind red-hot Knights fullback Kalyn Ponga, who will be playing in the Read More

May 18, 2026

Blues Origin team named for Game 1: Edwards axed for Teddy, six debutants in

Under-question coach Laurie Daley has returned to the past with his first 2026 State of Origin squad, dropping superstar New South Wales fullback Dylan Edwards for former state captain and Roosters Read More