Beau Webster to debut in Sydney after out-of-form Mitch Marsh axed
January 2, 2025
Tasmanian all-rounder Beau Webster will make his Australian Test debut in Sydney on Friday after selectors made the cut-throat call to drop struggling Mitch Marsh for the fifth and final clash with India in the Border-Gavaskar series.
Marsh’s place in the team has been under the microscope for some time, with many calling for his head.
Of the most concern was his 10.7 series average; his last five scores were 9, 5, 2, 4, and 0.
Australian captain Pat Cummins announced the axing early on Thursday morning, though many had already suspected the change after Marsh was spotted not batting in the SCG nets with his squadmates. He had come out wearing pads but never took centre stage.
“Mitchy hasn’t quite got the runs or perhaps wickets he’d have liked for the series, so it felt time for a freshen-up and Beau’s been great,” Cummins said after breaking the Aussie selection news. “So it’s a shame for Mitchy because we know how much he brings to the team but I feel like now is a good week for Beau to get a chance.
“He’s totally understanding. I think his words were ‘not necessarily blindsided,’ he knows he hasn’t scored the runs or taken the wickets he would’ve liked, so that makes you vulnerable.
“Really excited for Beau… the first thing [Marsh] said was ‘I can’t wait to see Beau out there.’”
Webster will bat at six for Australia and may help with pace and off-spin with the ball.
Webster has averaged 37.83 with the bat and 37.39 with the ball through his 93 first-class matches.
Australian XI: Sam Konstas, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Webster, Alex Carey, Cummins (c), Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Scott Boland.
May 20, 2026
NRL: Raiders Vs Dolphins - Match Insights & Our Tips
The Canberra Raiders return from the bye on Thursday night looking to steady their season when they host the Dolphins at GIO Stadium, and you can find our full betting Read MoreMay 20, 2026
Watson to join rebuilding Dragons then new Chiefs on Pezet-style combo deal
Connor Watson is about to sign with two NRL teams, agreeing to join the rebuilding St George Illawarra Dragons for a season before heading over to Papua New Guinea to play for expansion side the Read MoreMay 20, 2026
Tell Us What You Think Below