AFL

AFL: “We Are Deeply Sorry” Five Swans Break Silence After Season Ending Bans

1 hour ago - Sportingbase AFL: “We Are Deeply Sorry” Five Swans Break Silence After Season Ending Bans Image
Five suspended Sydney players have apologised for breaching club standards while a separate Victoria Police investigation into an alleged hotel incident remains ongoing.

Riley Bice, Nick Blakey, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Chad Warner will not be considered for selection for the remainder of the 2026 AFL season, including the finals.

The decision followed internal interviews and a Sydney board meeting convened after an incident at the club’s Melbourne hotel during the early hours of Monday, August 17.

In a joint statement released through the club, the players accepted the sanctions and apologised for their conduct.

“We are deeply sorry to everyone involved,” the statement read.

“We know that our behaviour has fallen well short of the standards expected of us and the values of our club.

“We know we have let down our partners and families, members, supporters, teammates, the AFLW team, corporate partners and everyone at the club and the wider community.

“We accept the club sanction and apologise for the impact this has had on those involved.

“Our focus will now be on rebuilding trust with the club and the community.”

The full statement was published by the Sydney Swans on behalf of the five sanctioned players.

Apology Is Not an Admission Concerning Police Investigation

The distinction between the club’s disciplinary process and the police investigation is essential.

The players have apologised for behaviour that Sydney determined breached its internal standards. Their statement should not be interpreted as an admission concerning the alleged offence being investigated by Victoria Police.

No criminal charges or arrests have been announced, and police have not publicly established that any of the five players committed an offence.

Victoria Police previously confirmed it was investigating a report of an alleged sexual assault at a Wellington Parade hotel in East Melbourne.

“The exact circumstances are yet to be established and the investigation into the incident remains ongoing,” a police spokesperson said.

Sydney has also stressed that its sanctions were imposed independently of that investigation.

“We respect there is an ongoing investigation by Victoria Police and the actions we have taken today are independent of this,” the club’s official suspension announcement read.

The five players can therefore be named in connection with the confirmed club sanctions. It would be inaccurate to describe those sanctions as findings of criminal conduct or to assign any player a role in the alleged offence without an official statement from police.

Sydney Admits Conduct Fell Well Below Expectations

Chief executive Matthew Pavlich said the club was ashamed of the conduct uncovered through its internal process.

“We are deeply embarrassed and ashamed by the poor choices of our five players,” Pavlich said.

“We are expressing our concerns deeply for the women involved.”

Chairman Andrew Pridham said the players were remorseful but argued that Sydney needed to impose a penalty strong enough to demonstrate the seriousness of the breaches.

“The players involved are extremely remorseful for their actions that have breached club standards,” Pridham said.

“The sanction that we have imposed and the impact that will have on our football season is clear for all to see.”

Pridham acknowledged that removing five important players immediately before the finals could destroy Sydney’s premiership campaign.

“The only way we can deal with it is to put our foot down incredibly hard, which we’ve done,” he said.

“To effectively torpedo our season by making decisions just tells you how serious we’re taking it.”

Five Regular Players Removed Before Finals

Warner, Blakey and Jordon have played all 22 of Sydney’s matches this season, while Heeney and Bice have each made 20 appearances.

All five will miss the Swans’ final home-and-away match against North Melbourne and their entire finals campaign.

Sydney has secured second position on the ladder and the benefit of two home finals, but must now attempt to contend without several of its most influential players.

The football consequences are substantial, but the club has correctly acknowledged that the welfare and privacy of the women involved must remain the priority.

Sydney has not ruled out further action once the police investigation is complete. Any future sanctions would depend on information established through that separate process.

Unverified Claims Should Be Treated With Caution

Several reports have published additional allegations about what occurred at the hotel.

Unless those details are confirmed by Victoria Police, presented in court or expressly admitted by the people involved, they should continue to be described only as allegations and attributed directly to the outlet reporting them.

They should not be presented as established facts.

The confirmed position remains limited: police are investigating a report of an alleged sexual assault, Sydney found five players breached club conduct standards, all five have been suspended for the season and no criminal charges have been announced.

That distinction must remain central to any responsible coverage while the investigation continues.

Support is available through 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732.

MORE AFL NEWS: Click Here To View More Of Our AFL News

Cta Bg Image

Want To Receive Our NRL News Each Week?

We can email you our NRL Content as it comes in each week

Fill in the form & you will stop seeing this each time you view our insights & tips

Related Articles

Three golfers who could win the 2026 BMW Championship Image Three golfers who could win the 2026 BMW Championship

The second weekend of the 2026 FedEx Cup Playoffs are set to get underway this weekend at the Bellerive Country Club in St. Louis, Missouri. Here are ...

4 hours ago
“Deeply Embarrassed and Ashamed” Five Swans Banned in Stunning AFL Finals Blow Image
AFL
“Deeply Embarrassed and Ashamed” Five Swans Banned in Stunning AFL Finals Blow

Sydney’s premiership campaign has been rocked after five star players were suspended for the remainder of the 2026 AFL season, including the finals. ...

18 hours ago
NRL: “He’d Do a Great Job” Bellamy Opens Door for Billy Slater to Become Storm Coach Image NRL: “He’d Do a Great Job” Bellamy Opens Door for Billy Slater to Become Storm Coach

Craig Bellamy wants Melbourne’s next coach to come from within the Storm, opening the door for Billy Slater to inherit the NRL powerhouse. ...

1 hour ago
Header Logo
NRL Match Centre
Form guide