‘Dead serious’: Warner throws hat in ring to open against India

1 year ago - Sportingbase ‘Dead serious’: Warner throws hat in ring to open against India Image
The hunt for David Warner’s replacement may eventually end up right back where it started with David Warner, after the 112-Test match left-hander himself put his hand up for what would be a shock return.

“I’m always available, just got to pick up the phone,” Warner told News Corp while he was meeting the visiting King Charles in Sydney earlier this week.

Even more interestingly, the 37-year-old then insisted he’s not joking.

“I’m always dead serious,” he declared, before pointing to the fact the Australia cricket team has only played one red ball match together since their last Test matches in February.

“I’ve almost had the same preparation. Honestly, if they really need me for this series, I’m more than happy to play the next Shield game and go out there and play,” Warner continued. “I did retire for the right reasons to finish the game… I wanted to finish. [But] my hand is up if they desperately need someone. I’m not going to shy away from that.”

He’s even gone as far as reaching out to Australia coach Andrew McDonald and selector George Bailey with a “cheeky message”—though that was apparently shot down by McDonald, who very quickly returned serve with ‘you retired.’

The Sporting Base even heard Warner texted several journos about his plan before the quotes.

That doesn’t mean it’s likely though, with other (more prepared) options like Marcus Harris, Nathan McSweeney—who would then push Marnus Labuschagne into the openers, or young gun New South Welshman Sam Konstas, who’s burst into conversations. Warner said if not him then most of them would likely suit, though he warned against throwing Konstas in too early.

“Konstas can definitely in time be that long-term opening batsman,” he mused.

“There is every opportunity for him there to do that, but I think you still have to see a little bit more.

— Read: Smith ‘didn’t ask’ for return to No.4 — but he’s very happy to go back

He added: “I think Will Pucovski was a much more complete cricketer than where Konstas is now and was a bit more of a stroke maker. But Konstas can definitely in time be that.”

Australia’s first of five Tests against India starts in nearly exactly a month, on November 22.


  
CHANCES ARE YOU’RE ABOUT TO LOSE.

For free and confidential support call 1800 858 858 or visit gamblinghelponline.org.au

Cta Bg Image

Want To Receive Our NRL News Each Week?

We can email you our NRL Content as it comes in each week

Fill in the form & you will stop seeing this each time you view our insights & tips

Related Articles

AFL: Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs – Match Insights & Our Tips Image
AFL
AFL: Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs – Match Insights & Our Tips

Melbourne host the Western Bulldogs at the MCG in Saturday Afternoon Footy. The Demons have been formidable at the home footy this year having knocked...

23 hours ago
NRL Team Lists: Dragons vs Bulldogs – The Biggest Betting Impacts From Team List Image
NRL
NRL Team Lists: Dragons vs Bulldogs – The Biggest Betting Impacts From Team List

The official team lists are in for Dragons vs Bulldogs, with Canterbury forced into an outside-back reshuffle while the Dragons stick with the side th...

14 hours ago
Sara Bejlek on a magical run at the 2026 Cincinnati Open Image Sara Bejlek on a magical run at the 2026 Cincinnati Open

The biggest story at the 2026 Cincinnati Open this past week has been the progression of the 20-year-old Czech sensation Sara Bejlek. A year ago we sa...

47 minutes ago
Header Logo
NRL Match Centre
Form guide