US Open Update - Aussie John Millman Defeats Roger Federer | The Sporting Base
[google-translator]

US Open Update – Aussie John Millman Defeats Roger Federer

September 5, 2018

By Lindsay
US Open Update – Aussie John Millman Defeats Roger Federer

Millman

September 3, 2018 – John Millman and Roger Federer meet at net during the 2018 US Open.

 

Roger Federer has been knocked out of the US Open in the fourth round by world number 55 John Millman.

The 37-year-old Swiss was intent on winning a sixth US Open but was beaten 3-6 7-5 7-6 (9-7) 7-6 (7-3) in three hours 35 minutes.

It is the first time Federer has lost to a player ranked outside of the top 50 at the US Open.

“I’m probably in a little bit of disbelief,” said Millman.

“I have so much respect for Roger and everything he’s done for the game. He’s been a hero of mine.”

Millman sees no reason why he can’t take down Djokovic and become Australia’s first men’s semi-finalist in New York since Lleyton Hewitt lost in the final to Federer in 2004.

“Why not?” Millman said when asked if he can repeat his performance against Djokovic.

Millman will play Novak Djokovic 1 am Thursday 06/09/18.

Juan Martin del Potro, the 2009 US Open champion and third seed, defeated John Isner of Greensboro, N.C., 6-7, 6-3, 7-6, 6-2.
In brutal conditions and stifling humidity had basically wilted Sloane Stephens earlier in the day, and Roger Federer the night before – the 6-foot-6 del Potro managed crucial points and debilitating elements better than his even-taller opponent.

The 11th-seeded Isner was frequently left bent over at the knees, like a staggered boxer.

Del Potro now advances to the semifinals for the second consecutive year.

“I’m so happy to reach another semifinal in my favorite tournament,” said del Potro on court after his win. “It was like an epic match. We both felt tired in the end, we both fight the whole match. I think I survive with my serve in the important moments in the match.”

In the end, the pressure of defending her US Open title may have been too much for Sloane Stephens. On Tuesday afternoon in Arthur Ashe Stadium, the American was bounced from the draw by 19th-seeded Latvian Anastasija Sevastova, who advanced to the first major semifinal of her career with a 6-2, 6-3 upset victory.

“I think it was very physical today,” said Sevastova, who was appearing in her third straight US Open quarterfinal. “It was so hot here in the stadium. We showed some nerves in the end, but that’s normal — it’s for the semifinals of the US Open. I just stuck to my game plan and took my chances. I’m so happy.”

UPCOMING MATCHES

MEN’S

  • Nadal V Thiem
  • Cilic V Nishikori
  • Djokovic V Millman

TIPS

  • Nadal @ $1.26
  • Cilic @ $1.59
  • Millman @ $11

WOMEN’S

  • Suarez-Navarro V Keys
  • Osaka V Tsurenko

TIPS

  • Keys @ $1.38
  • Osaka @ $1.41

Tell Us What You Think Below

November 29, 2025

Lakers refuse to play on NBA Cup special floor against the Mavericks

If you have been an avid reader of The Sporting Base over the years, you know my feelings about the NBA Cup It is simply silly, and the NBA would be better off to get rid of the entire midseason Read More

November 29, 2025

Opinion: Way too early to compare the Thunder to the 1990s Chicago Bulls

One of the interesting stories in the National Basketball Association in 2025-26 is the fact that the Oklahoma City Thunder are at 18 wins and one loss Their winning percentage is a masterful 947 Read More

November 29, 2025

Opinion: Colts appear uncomfortable with Riley Leonard at quarterback

It has been a great season for the Indianapolis Colts They are getting terrific production at the running back position from Jonathan Taylor of Salem, New Jersey, and the Colts passing game has Read More