Tariq Sims tosses up options: Dragons’ unwanted Blues star already in talks with Roosters
September 9, 2021

Unwanted Dragons forward Tariq Sims is already in early talks with the Sydney Roosters, The Sporting Base understands, after being told by St George Illawarra that he was “surplus to requirements” at the end of his current NRL deal.
All-but-gone Dragon Tariq Sims is already in talks with the Sydney Roosters, sources close to the situation have revealed.
The 31-year-old has a year left on his current deal with the Red V, but has been told he can seek a longer-term contract with another NRL club from 2022 onwards if he finds a deal. Sims has been told he is also welcome to see out the last year of his Dragons contract before moving on.
Anthony Griffin has since confirmed the news, after the Dragons lost to the Rabbitohs by a late-on whisker in round 25.
The sticking point between St George’s powerbrokers and their power second-rower is his quality in his 30s. Sims is under the impression he can play “far beyond” 2022, while the Red V are less convinced.
The shock decision within the club has driven Sims to ring around.
The late-season calling has already landed him interest from at least one big fish, the Sydney Roosters, who believes he can still do a major job in the forward rotation. To add to that, there are suggestions Angus Chrichton wants to leave the tricolours for rugby, soon rather than later. That shift would leave a spot in the rich Sydney club’s second-row stock.
The Cowboys and Broncos have also expressed interest, The Sporting Base can reveal.
Tariq Sims was, understandably, relatively disappointed when he was told by the club he’s spent the six years playing at that he would be shown the door, no ifs or buts, at the end of next year.
The 31-year-old joined the Dragons in 2016, after a messy exit from the Newcastle Knights.
He first made his NRL debut in 2011, with the Cowboys. He played 71 games in North Queensland before swapping brown and white for the red and blue of the Hunter. That stint lasted just 27 games before he headed to Wollongong.
[adrotate banner=”9″]
Sims admitted he was “devastated” to get the news.
“We organised a meeting on two separate occasions to see where their heads were at and where they see me in the Dragons,” he said. “On both those occasions, we found out there was no offer to be made for ’23 – that was obviously devastating for me.
“On the second occasion we found out that if I was to be able to find and secure a longer-term deal somewhere else for ’22 and beyond, they wouldn’t stand in my way.”
“The conversations with the Dragons didn’t even reach that point, negotiating length of deals or the financial situations,” he said. “The conversations we had were pretty short and sharp.”
“I was upset at the start – unfortunately that’s football sometimes.
“I’m very passionate about my club, I love the Dragons. The Red V has obviously been involved in my family for quite some time. I still feel like I’ve got two really good years left in me and beyond that.”
Fill In The Form To Get Our NRL News Straight To Your Email For FREE!
April 4, 2025
NRL R5: Rabbitohs Vs Roosters - Team Stats, Betting Insights & Our Bets
Latrell Mitchell (South Sydney Rabbitohs) has scored 30 tries across his last 30 NRL games when starting at centre on the day Our analyst has put together a full list of essential insights Read MoreApril 4, 2025
NRL R5: Panthers Vs Cowboys - Team Stats, Betting Insights & Our Bets
Liam Martin has scored one try in each of his last two NRL games against the Cowboys and hasn’t lost against them since his maiden meeting with the Cowboys in Round 23, 2019 Our analyst has Read MoreApril 3, 2025
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.