The Dragons Part Ways With Paul McGregor After Weeks Of Pressure | The Sporting Base
[google-translator]

The Dragons Part Ways With Paul McGregor After Weeks Of Pressure

August 13, 2020

The Dragons Part Ways With Paul McGregor After Weeks Of Pressure

After weeks of pressure, the Dragons have elected to “amicably” part ways with head coach Paul McGregor after Friday’s matchup against the Eels.

McGregor spoke with Dragons CEO Ryan Webb on Wednesday night ahead of a board meeting next week to discuss his future and it is understood when Webb told him that his tenure was not guaranteed next season, the coach opted to resign.

He was expected to inform his players after Thursday’s captain’s run ahead of Friday night’s clash with Parramatta at Bankwest Stadium that his time at the club was over.

Assistant coach Dean Young will take over as interim for the remainder of the season after McGregor’s final game in charge against the Eels on Friday.

“There was a lot of talking involved and we came to a decision where we are both comfortable,” Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb told the Herald.



“Hopefully this allows Paul to continue to be part of the Dragons family. He’s still going to be connected with us although he won’t be the head coach after this weekend.”

“After the game he will hand over the reigns to Dean Young for the remainder of the season. Who will coach the club from next season will be a discussion that will happen at the board meeting next Tuesday.”

The club released a statement on Thursday morning confirming McGregor’s departure.

“I wish to thank the Dragons for allowing me to be head coach over the past seven seasons as well as everyone who has been involved in my journey at this proud club,” McGregor said.

“I approached the club’s chief executive Ryan Webb earlier in the week regarding a number of matters and we eventually came to an agreement that this week will be my last as coach of the Dragons. I understand a fresh face and new voice is needed to move the club forward. I hope this decision will provide clarity to the playing group, the entire staff and our passionate Red V members and partners regarding the direction the club is headed.

“After 25 years with the Illawarra Steelers and St George Illawarra as a player, staff member, captain and coach; I viewed my positions as a series of privileges not obligations. We haven’t met performance expectations over the past 18 months, and I take acceptance of responsibility. I had the opportunity to build my team, which we did in 2017 and 2018.

“Unfortunately, we have not put that same side on the field since for a number of reasons. Dean Young and the team have a fantastic opportunity over the next six weeks to build into the 2021 campaign. Dean deserves this great opportunity to showcase his capabilities in the head coach role.”



The directors at next Tuesday’s board meeting will begin the process of appointing the next full-time coach.

McGregor’s departure will mean over the past two months, four NRL coaches – a quarter of the competition – have parted ways with their club. Two other teams have interim coaches – Souths and Brisbane – due to Wayne Bennett breaching biosecurity rules and Anthony Seibold taking leave due to a personal matter.


Fill In The Form Below To Receive NRL News & Tips Straight To Your Email!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Tell Us What You Think Below

November 27, 2025

Crichton split on staying with Roosters or chasing Wallabies hopes

Angus Crichton is mulling a three-way decision on his future this offseason, with the representative second rower to decide between staying with the Roosters, pushing for a Wallabies spot, or moving Read More

November 24, 2025

Super League signature: Bears turn to England for first marquee signing

Mal Meninga and the Perth Bears have finally landed a star signature, with English international Harry Newman agreeing to join the 18th NRL expansion side from 2027 through to 2029 as a strike Read More

November 22, 2025

'Out of respect': Cherry-Evans adamant he only signed with Roosters two weeks ago

It was one of the worst-kept secrets in rugby league that Daly Cherry-Evans had signed with the Roosters, but the former Sea Eagles skipper is sticking to the company line that he only signed two Read More