Tariq Sims To Stamp State Of Origin Authority As Blues Enforcer: "I Have One Job, That's It" | The Sporting Base
[google-translator]

‘I have one job, that’s it’: Tariq Sims to stamp Origin authority as Blues enforcer

June 2, 2021

‘I have one job, that’s it’: Tariq Sims to stamp Origin authority as Blues enforcer

Tariq Sims is already chomping at the bit to get at Queensland stars Daly Cherry-Evans and Cameron Munster; the hulking New South Wales enforcer has one job to do in the Origin arena, and boy does he knows it.

The State of Origin squads have finally been unveiled, and there was one big surprise in the Blues lineup — Dragons back-rower Tariq Sims has been recalled after a shining 2019 series.

In clubland, Sims has struggled to put wins on the board. The Dragons are 1-6 since their shock upset over the Eels at Bankwest Stadium in early April, and have slipped from the NRL’s glittering top 4 all the way down to a tenuous eighth.

Their horrid record has nothing to do with Sims though.

In fact, the Gerringong junior is in the midst of another stellar personal season.

In 11 games, he’s made a whopping 349 tackles, averages over 100 metres in every game, cracked the line five times, and scored three tries for good measure. Even as the Red V slips, Sims continues to shine.

Blues coach Freddy Fitler has clearly spotted that too.

He’s even given Sims a special State of Origin assignment; one the 31-year-old has become known for in recent years — hunt down Queensland’s halves in Townsville, and silence them.

“I have one job… that’s it,” he said from the Blues Origin camp.

The star continued, “There’s a lot to do ahead of me, but I’m looking forward to it. It’s why I’m here. I’m here to do the job Freddy has given me, and I know exactly what that is. I have to make their ballplayers play early — legally, of course,” he added with a wry smirk, “and protect my halves.”

“That’s my biggest job in Townsville. All that matters [on Wednesday evening] is that I get it done.”

Tariq Sims Dragons 1200x675

There can be no denying that Sims fits the Origin arena to a tee, but even the Dragons star admits even he was shocked when Freddy dropped the Blues call-up at his feet earlier this week.

“I wasn’t expecting the call, definitely not,” he said.

“Funny story, my daughter was actually playing with my phone, and it died. She didn’t even tell me it was dead! So it was like 8.30pm when I realised, and I put it on charge, and when I checked back at 9pm I had a fair few missed calls that I wasn’t expecting.

“Word kinda started to filter through then, and then I actually got the call [from Freddy]. Even better too, he told me it was to start. I’m very grateful for that… it’s a very proud moment.”



He continued, “This is the pinnacle of my footy career.”

It’s a lofty height, of course, but one that he knows could only last a fleeting second. Even after a strong 2019 campaign, the Dragons back rower was dropped in favour of returning Origin stars in New South Wales’ shock 2020 defeat.

“It’s maybe even sweeter because I know if I make a mistake, if I let the team down, I’m out the door,” the 31-year-old said.

“To play Origin, you have to be disciplined. The most disciplined in the game.

“How I do my job, that role, is so razor-close. I have to keep it all above board, because you can get sent pretty easily these days [in the NRL’s tackle crackdown]. Last week I was out through suspension, and that hurt. It made me ask, ‘had I done enough?’

“Like I touched on before, I’m very grateful either way. Especially in my preferred role [the number 12 jumper]. I’m looking forward to putting my touch on the game from the very start.”


Fill In The Form To Get Our NRL News Straight To Your Email For FREE!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Tell Us What You Think Below

November 27, 2025

Crichton split on staying with Roosters or chasing Wallabies hopes

Angus Crichton is mulling a three-way decision on his future this offseason, with the representative second rower to decide between staying with the Roosters, pushing for a Wallabies spot, or moving Read More

November 24, 2025

Super League signature: Bears turn to England for first marquee signing

Mal Meninga and the Perth Bears have finally landed a star signature, with English international Harry Newman agreeing to join the 18th NRL expansion side from 2027 through to 2029 as a strike Read More

November 22, 2025

'Out of respect': Cherry-Evans adamant he only signed with Roosters two weeks ago

It was one of the worst-kept secrets in rugby league that Daly Cherry-Evans had signed with the Roosters, but the former Sea Eagles skipper is sticking to the company line that he only signed two Read More