South Sydney Will Have To Contend With Rebel Rugby Comp To Keep Gray | The Sporting Base
[google-translator]

South Sydney will have to contend with rebel rugby comp to keep Gray

August 11, 2025

South Sydney will have to contend with rebel rugby comp to keep Gray

South Sydney is eager to keep Jye Gray beyond the end of his contract expiry in 2026, with the club now preparing a re-signing package that would keep the pocket rocket fullback in Redfern for a further two years.

It’s not quite as simple as yes or no, though, The Sporting Base understands, with rebel rugby competition R360 throwing a spanner in the works with a $920,000 offer for the 28-game player.

Win $500 Cash In Our Free Giveaway Here

R360 organisers are desperately trying to sign enough players to trigger the next equity round for the rebel concept, and that’s materialised into some truly mind-boggling offers, including this $920K approach. While this Base writer thinks that’s silly cash – and Gray should take it and run – the Souths star is (understandably) hesitant.

The biggest problem is that it makes the Rabbitohs’ much lighter extension offer look cheap.

Word around Redfern, though, is that Grey should knock back the deal and take up the Bunnies package.

Considering there’s no guarantee the oil-back league goes ahead (or draws fans if it does), it makes little sense for anyone with time left to play at the highest level to take up the deals – though, again, it is really silly money.

All that said, Souths coach Wayne Bennett recently suggested R360 was a “huge threat” to footy.



Win $500 Cash In Our Free Giveaway Here

“The NRL is the toughest competition in the world with the best athletes,” Bennett told News Corp last month.

“We are absolutely under threat. We cannot ignore it. I don’t know how we combat it, but I will say this – the game needs to come together sooner rather than later. Let’s talk about what the hell is going on out there.

“Have the conversation we need to have with each other and discuss how we stop it, what do we do?”

Several NRL stars like Ryan Papenhuyzen, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Zac Lomax, and Herbie Farnworth have all been approached by R360 and have been mulling over moving to the rebel league. Papenhuyzen and “RTS” are the most likely among that pack, as is Asofa-Solomona, as the deals would spruice up their retirements.

R360 would be based in Dubai, meaning players wouldn’t have to pay any taxes on wages either.


Tell Us What You Think Below

February 13, 2026

'Apply the blow torch': Storm allegedly asked NRL to get Eels to release Lomax

The Melbourne Storm reportedly approached the NRL chiefs in a bid to sign Zac Lomax for 2026, asking the league to "apply the blow torch" to the holdout Parramatta Eels so that they'd release the rep Read More

February 12, 2026

'Exciting times' for Dragons to keep building with Verran homecoming

The "exciting times" just keep building for the St George Illawarra Dragons, with Jillaroos and New South Wales star Emma Verran (née Tonegato) agreeing to return to her hometown club on a Read More

February 10, 2026

Haas to join Bunnies after Broncos 'lowball' – but Brisbane will still make last-ditch bid

The Brisbane Broncos are this week rushing to upgrade their tabled contract extension offer for Payne Haas, after a reported "lowball" from Red Hill sent Payne Haas into Wayne Bennett and South Read More