Top hopes drawn wide in Caulfield Cup
October 13, 2021
The Caulfield Cup picture has become much more clearer with the final field and barrier draw coming through today.
Short priced favourite Incentivise has been dealt the outside barrier which didn’t seem to faze jockey Brett Prebble after hearing the news.
“20 is 20, let’s have a look and see how much real speed is in the race, whether he takes it up or sits 2nd, 3rd or 4th well he doesn’t have to lead,” said Prebble.
“He’s a big boy with a long stride so he’s got that room out there on his own.”
With Incentivise in 20, Delphi in 19 and Nonconformist in 16 it leaves the top 3 in the market drawn towards the outside.
One of the key hopes to have escaped with a soft draw is Young Werther who is coming off an impressive 2nd in the Group 1 Turnbull Stakes behind favourite Incentivise.
Jockey Daniel Moor was happy with the gate, speaking to Racing.com after the barrier draw.
“Quite pleased, obviously not too wide and not too low, seems to be a bit of a goldilocks draw theore, just right,” said Moor.
“I was more than happy to draw that middle of the road there, gives us a few options and allows us a cheap enough run.”
Another key runner is the last start Group 1 winner in Montefilia who has drawn in 12 with jockey Jye McNeil happy enough with the gate.
“Drawing 12 is probably ideal for her, after speaking to David (Payne) she’s the type of horse that really needs to be building from the half mile onwards and she needs to come with one run,” said McNeil.
“She travelled down well, seems really bright and happy, bring on Saturday.”
However, all eyes will be on Incentivise who will start the favourite come 5.15pm on Saturday at Caulfield. He is currently the $2.35 favourite at the time of writing.
Full field and barriers for the 2021 Caulfield Cup
- Homesman (13) 55.5kg – Anthony & Sam Freedman – Jordan Childs
- Incentivise (20) 55.5kg – Peter G Moody – Brett Prebble
- Explosive Jack (1) 54kg – Ciaron Maher & David Eustace – John Allen
- The Chosen One (9) 54kg – Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman – Damian Lane
- Ocean Billy (7) 53.5kg – Chris Waller – Damien Thornton
- Selino (17) 53.5kg – Chris Waller – Fred Kersley
- Persan (11) 53kg – Ciaron Maher & David Eustace – Linda Meech
- Quick Thinker (14) 53kg – Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman – Declan Bates
- Chapada (18) 52.5kg – Michael Moroney – Daniel Stackhouse
- Delphi (19) 52.5kg – Anthony & Sam Freedman – Damian Oliver
- Master Of Wine (10) 52.5kg – Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes – Dean Holland
- Montefilia (12) 52kg – David Payne – Jye McNeil
- Port Guillaume (6) 52kg – Ben & JD Hayes – Harry Coffey
- She’s Ideel (5) 52kg – Bjorn Baker – Craig Newitt
- Young Werther (8) 52kg – Danny O’Brien – Daniel Moor
- Nonconformist (16) 51.5kg – Grahame Begg – Craig Williams
- Duais (3) 51kg – Edward Cummings – Michael Dee
- Charms Star (4) 50kg – Chris Waller – Dean Yendall
- Great House (2) 50kg – Chris Waller – (Emergency)
- Constantinople (15) 50kg – Aaron Purcell – (Emergency)
For a full market on the Caulfield Cup head to TopSport for all the latest markets.
Fill In the Form Below To Receive Our Racing News & Tips Straight To Your Email For FREE!