‘Don’t care if I’m swearing’: Fallout after Latrell’s R-rated radio interview
March 17, 2024
The NRL world is up in arms after Latrell Mitchell went on an expletive-ridden tirade live on Triple M radio after the Rabbitohs lost to the Broncos by 10 points in Thursday’s round-opener.
Mitchell’s expletive-laden radio interview, which saw the South Sydney superstar say “f**k” as many as four times, was labelled “an absolute disgrace” by some fans listening at the time. This publication’s Twitter NRL account added: “It’s disappointing when he knows kids are listening and he says he doesn’t care that he’s swearing.”
Download Our FREE NRL App Here
The under-fire interview in question came moments after the full-time whistle, with Mitchell saying, “Honestly f**k, it was s**t, the first bit, it was a hard game… f**k.”
“Honestly [the Broncos] are big boys, they’re competitors, you wonder why they came runners-up last year, so f**k, we can build on that.
“I don’t care if I’m swearing, boys, honestly.”
Join Our NRL WhatsApp Group Chat Here
Triple M cut the interview short after Latrell’s last swear-word-laden comment.
🚨🏉 It’s disappointing when he knows kids are listening and he says he doesn’t care that he’s swearing.
Be betterhttps://t.co/eHlCiFS2oN
— The Sporting Base – NRL (@BaseNrl) March 15, 2024
The Daily Telegraph today reported NRL boss Andrew Abdo is looking to speak to Mitchell in a private meeting this week after the expletive-heavy interview and has reached out to South Sydney to request a sitdown.
However, The Sporting Base understands the NRL has already examined the 26-year-old’s comments and is unlikely to escalate matters beyond a wide warning to players to recognise their status as role models; an illustrious position that needs to be remembered on and off the field, including during media interviews after games.
“We encourage players to be themselves and be authentic,” Abdo said. “However, they also know they are… role models which means setting an example. When speaking to fans via media interviews, we have a responsibility to be respectful.”
Enter Our Weekly $250 NRL Tipping Comp Here
Souths are also unlikely to do more than slap Latrell on the wrist, The Sporting Base understands.
February 18, 2026
Hunt not thinking retirement yet: 'If I feel like I can keep playing on, I will'
Ben Hunt won't be following fellow Brisbane veteran Adam Reynolds into retirement any time soon, declaring that he has "no idea" when he'll retire as he prepares for Friday’s World Club Challenge Read MoreFebruary 17, 2026
Hughes in Origin contention, with Maroons investigating when he moved to Australia
Queensland Rugby League is currently assessing the eligibility of a number of possible Queensland debutants after the NRL changed the qualification rules this week, with Storm champion Jahrome Hughes Read MoreFebruary 13, 2026
Tell Us What You Think Below