2022 AFL Round 22 Preview: Our Selections
August 12, 2022
Our AFL analyst has taken a look at round 22 and has put together his selections for each game.
ST KILDA v BRISBANE – 7.50pm, Friday, Marvel Stadium
Again, it’s do or die for the Saints in terms of their finals aspirations. They sit outside the eight in ninth placing with a poor percentage so this is it for them. That should be enough to get them fired up. Last week they were no match for the marauding cats on their home turf. From their past nine games they have only won three matches. Brisbane took the foot off the accelerator against Carlton last week. They have won three of their past four matches and Lachie Neale is dominating. They are regularly kicking big scores. They also need to win to stay in contention for a top four spot.
- Bet: $100 Either team 15 points or less $2.70 with playup
WESTERN BULLDOGS v GWS GIANTS – 1.45pm, Saturday, Marvel Stadium
The Giants reacted to their coach’s massive spray with an easy win against Essendon with Jesse Hogan leading the way. Over the past three weeks the Dogs have played three of the top teams on the ladder beginning with a win against Melbourne but subsequently losing to Geelong and Fremantle. The Giants have an extensive injury list so this set-ups as an opportunity for the Bulldogs to have a nice win and stay in the race for a finals spot.
- Bet: $100 Western Bulldogs 1-39 points $2.30 with playup
ADELAIDE v NORTH MELBOURNE – 2.10pm, Saturday, Adelaide Oval
Adelaide is finishing the season off in style with impressive wins at their past two matches against Carlton at home and then the West Coast Eagles in Perth. They tend to feast on the Kangaroos having beaten them by 41 points, 44 points and 57 points from their past three meetings. Although the Roos welcome back their star Ben Cunnington, since they defeated the Tigers they have lost by 46 points, 50 points and 38 points.
- Bet: $200 Adelaide -32.5 points $1.95 with playup
GOLD COAST SUNS v GEELONG – 4.35PM, Saturday, Metricon Stadium
The Gold Coast Suns wins against the Cats are few and far between managing two from 13 clashes. Both were at the Gold Coast with the last one five years ago. They have not got within 27 points of Geelong in five clashes since. They usually play well at their home ground and bar for a late goal against the Magpies they would have won their past five matches. Geelong is riding high with 11 wins straight but expect the young Suns to throw everything into their final match.
- Bet: $200 Gold Coast Suns +24.5 points at $1.90 with playup
- $100 win Gold Coast Suns at $4 with playup
MELBOURNE v CARLTON – 7.25pm, Saturday, MCG
Two out of form teams meet in a high stakes game. For the Demons a win is a must to stay in the top four while Carlton is trying to cling on to their spot in the eight. The Blues have been hit with several of their on-ballers not playing which will give the Demons a chance. The Demons have been inefficient going forward.
- Bet: $100 Melbourne winning margin 25+ $2.02 with playup
FREMANTLE v WEST COAST – 7.40pm, Saturday, Optus Stadium
After a string of 11 losses in the Perth Derby, Fremantle has gained the ascendancy again with victories at their past two clashes. Fremantle are looking at a top four spot and need to win. They returned to form with a win over the Bulldogs last week. Since beating Essendon seven weeks to record their second win for the season, they have lost their past six matches. Also, they will be without spearhead Josh Kennedy who kicked eight goals in his farewell match against the Crows last week.
- Bet: $100 Fremantle to win 1-39 points into total games points under 155.5 at $4.46 with playup
- $100 Fremantle to win 1-39 points at $2.35 with playup
RICHMOND v HAWTHORN – 1.10pm, Sunday, MCG
Richmond and Hawthorn put on an entertaining encounter earlier in the season with the Hawks threatening late in the game. On that occasion the score was 17.15 117 to 14.10 94 so expect another high scoring affair.
Hawthorn’s trademark is taking the game on and they won’t deviate from that. Richmond have struck form and need to win to play in the finals.
- Bet: $100 total points score over 170.5 points into Richmond -22.5 points at $3.42 with playup
- $200 Richmond $1.33 into Sydney at $1.33 at $1.76 with playup
SYDNEY SWANS v COLLINGWOOD – 3.20pm, Sunday, SCG
Collingwood have been remarkable with their ability to scrape narrow wins for the past 11 weeks but if they could win again, it might be the best win of the lot. They have had several players with the flu this week and will be severely weakened against the Swans. The Swans are in great form having won their past five matches. They have also won their past six matches at the SCG.
- The bet: $100 Sydney -20.5 points at $1.85 with playup
ESSENDON v PORT ADELAIDE – 4.40pm, Sunday, Marvel
There’s nothing at stake between these two down the table teams except for pride. The Bombers struck form but put in a shocker against the Giants last week. Port tried hard against Richmond but looked slow and a bit banged up. They also are exposed in the ruck. Look for the Bombers to swing back into action on their home deck where they have won their past four matches.
- The bet: $200 win Essendon at $1.82 with playup
Our Staking Plan
- $100 Either team 15 points or less $2.70
- $100 Western Bulldogs 1-39 points $2.30
- $200 Adelaide -32.5 points $1.95
- $100 win Gold Coast Suns at $4
- $200 Gold Coast Suns +24.5 points at $1.90
- $100 Melbourne winning margin 25+ $2.02
- $100 Fremantle to win 1-39 points into total games points under 155.5 at $4.46
- $100 Fremantle to win 1-39 points at $2.35
- $200 Richmond $1.33 into Sydney at $1.33 at $1.76
- $100 total points score over 170.5 points into Richmond -22.5 points at $3.42
- $100 Sydney -20.5 points at $1.85
- $200 win Essendon at $1.82