Lomachenko looking to reclaim titles

4 years ago - Sportingbase Lomachenko looking to reclaim titles Image
Vasily Lomachenko is targeting a blockbuster match-up with Australia’s George Kambosos Jr after battering Richard Commey at Madison Square Garden in New York.

It was the perfect opportunity for the Ukrainian to prove just why he deserves a shot at reclaiming his titles which he lost to Teofimo Lopez in October last year. Somewhat of a vindication of his poor performance against the American in a unanimous decision loss.

By being beaten by Lopez, Lomachenko left the WBA (super), WBC (franchise), WBO, and the Ring lightweight titles behind. It then laid a pathway for Kambosos Jr to battle with Lopez for a unification bout after being made mandatory for the IBF belt already held by the American.

Now that Kambosos is the new lightweight king, everyone wants a shot at his titles. Komachenko has joined the party and like WBC champion, Devin Haney, he is willing to travel down under.

The two-time Olympic champion for Ukraine, was dominant in his weekend display, winning basically every round on his way to a unanimous decision victory over Commey.



Despite not finding a knockout, there were plenty of chances for the Ukrainian to finish his opponent and in the seventh round, he called for Commey’s corner to throw in the towel.

Following the announcement, 33-year-old Lomachenko who won 396 of his 397 amateur fights stamped his claim as one of the main contenders for Kambosos’ belts.

“I will go anywhere I need to go to fight him [Kambosos],” he said. “I need this chance. And if God gives me this chance, I’ll take it.”

If not for Kambosos, WBA (regular) holder Gervonta Davis and WBC champion, Haney, are other options available.

“We have in this weight division we have a lot of great fighters. We have a lot of top fighters. So, we can organize a lot of great fights in the future,” Lomachenko said.

The next month or so will prove to be a major step in the lightweight division as each of the top boxers has fought within a few weeks of each other, meaning scheduling is on track.


CHANCES ARE YOU’RE ABOUT TO LOSE.

For free and confidential support call 1800 858 858 or visit gamblinghelponline.org.au

Cta Bg Image

Want To Receive Our NRL News Each Week?

We can email you our NRL Content as it comes in each week

Fill in the form & you will stop seeing this each time you view our insights & tips

Related Articles

Thiago Agustin Tirante upsets Novak Djokovic at Cincinnati Open Image Thiago Agustin Tirante upsets Novak Djokovic at Cincinnati Open

There was a notable upset on Saturday in the second round of the 2026 Cincinnati Open. Thiago Agustin Tirante of Argentina, the 50th ranked player in ...

2 hours ago
PNG Chiefs Plot the Ultimate NRL Heist With Nathan Cleary and Sam Walker in Their Sights Image PNG Chiefs Plot the Ultimate NRL Heist With Nathan Cleary and Sam Walker in Their Sights

The PNG Chiefs are reportedly plotting the ultimate recruitment raid, targeting Nathan Cleary and Sam Walker before their historic 2028 NRL arrival. ...

13 hours ago
Seahawks make Devin Witherspoon highest paid cornerback in NFL history Image
NFL
Seahawks make Devin Witherspoon highest paid cornerback in NFL history

The Seattle Seahawks have made Devin Witherspoon of Pensacola, Florida the highest paid cornerback in National Football League history. According to A...

20 hours ago
Header Logo
NRL Match Centre
Form guide