Fresh allegations have detailed the night that shattered Sydney’s premiership campaign, but the most serious claims remain untested and under police investigation.
Riley Bice, Nick Blakey, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Chad Warner have already been suspended for the remainder of the 2026 AFL season after the Swans found they breached club behavioural standards.
A new report has now reconstructed the players’ movements following Sydney’s victory over Essendon and outlined allegations concerning what later occurred at the team hotel.
All five players have denied criminal wrongdoing. No charges have been laid and Victoria Police says the exact circumstances are still being established.
Night Reportedly Began at Melbourne Venues
Sydney defeated Essendon at the MCG before remaining in Melbourne overnight because of the city’s airport curfew.
The players also had a seven-day break before their wildcard weekend bye, while several senior Swans were reportedly expected to be rested against North Melbourne in the final home-and-away round.
According to a report by CODE Sports journalist Scott Gullan, members of Sydney’s playing group initially visited the Marquis of Lorne in Fitzroy after returning briefly to the Pullman Hotel.
Warner was reportedly seen carrying a tray of shots before part of the group continued celebrating at Her Bar in Melbourne’s CBD.
“By this stage the night had become a bender, more akin to a football trip than a Sunday night a couple of weeks out from finals,” Gullan wrote.
That description concerns the reported progression of the players’ night. It does not establish that any criminal offence occurred.
Serious Hotel Allegations Remain Unproven
Five Sydney players and adult entertainers were later present in a hotel room that is now central to the Victoria Police investigation.
The CODE Sports report, subsequently detailed by Fox Sports, contains allegations of illicit drug consumption and unwanted sexual touching inside the room.
Those allegations have not been proven and should not be attributed to any particular player unless Victoria Police, a court or the individual concerned establishes their role.
The situation allegedly escalated after one woman claimed an agreed personal boundary had been breached. Reports state the gathering then ended and two women later confronted hotel staff and Sydney representatives in the lobby.
The report also claimed the room had been cleaned before police arrived. There is no established evidence that any Swans player or official arranged cleaning to conceal evidence, and that inference should not be drawn from the reported timing alone.
Victoria Police’s Sexual Crimes Squad is investigating a report of an alleged sexual assault at the Wellington Parade hotel during the early hours of August 17.
“Detectives from the Sexual Crimes Squad continue to investigate a report of a sexual assault in East Melbourne on August 17,” police said in their latest statement.
“The exact circumstances of the matter are still being established and a number of people have been spoken to.”
Five Players Reportedly Driven Back to Sydney
The new account also describes the immediate response after Sydney became aware of the developing situation.
A club representative reportedly contacted AFL chief operating officer and former Swans chief executive Tom Harley at approximately 9am. Harley then contacted AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon.
The wider playing group travelled to Melbourne Airport, while the five players who were later suspended remained behind.
They reportedly returned to Sydney by car accompanied by player welfare manager and 2005 premiership player Brett Kirk.
Gullan reported that the players’ “phones were turned off” during the journey, leaving managers, relatives and friends unable to contact them directly.
That detail has attracted considerable attention, but turning off their phones does not itself establish wrongdoing or justify assumptions about the police investigation.
Sydney Rejects Claims Involving Staff
The Swans have moved to reject reports suggesting staff members were present in the hotel room or involved in the police investigation.
“The Sydney Swans categorically confirms that no member of staff is involved in the investigation,” the club said.
“This includes being in the hotel room central to the police investigation.
“The club reiterates that no player has been interviewed by police at this stage.”
Sydney has also stated that its internal inquiries consistently indicated the five suspended players were the only club representatives inside the room central to the investigation.
That statement followed a lawyer’s reported claim that more than five men may have been present.
The club’s denial relates specifically to Sydney representatives. It does not establish the complete number or identity of everyone who may have entered the room during the night.
Club Sanctions Remain Separate From Police Case
Sydney’s season-ending bans were imposed for breaches of its internal standards, not because the club found the players guilty of a criminal offence.
Chief executive Matthew Pavlich said the confirmed behavioural breaches involved remaining out late, drinking, continuing the celebration and bringing women back to the hotel.
The players subsequently accepted their sanctions in a joint statement.
“We are deeply sorry to everyone involved,” they said.
“We know that our behaviour has fallen well short of the standards expected of us and the values of our club.”
That apology concerns the conduct addressed by Sydney. It must not be presented as an admission regarding the alleged offence being investigated by police.
The club has left open the possibility of further action after the police process is completed.
Civil Claims Now Being Considered
Three women connected to the reported hotel gathering have reportedly engaged lawyers and are considering civil claims.
One is represented by Slater and Gordon, while two others have reportedly retained Carbone Lawyers.
A potential civil claim is separate from the police investigation and does not mean proceedings have been filed or that liability has been established.
The women’s privacy and welfare remain central as authorities attempt to determine what occurred.
Sydney’s premiership chances have been severely damaged by losing five regular players immediately before the finals, but the football consequences remain secondary to the allegations and the people affected by them.
The verified position remains limited: the Swans found five players breached club standards, police are investigating a report of an alleged sexual assault, no charges have been laid and the most serious details published about the hotel room remain allegations.
Support is available through 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732.
MORE AFL NEWS: Click Here To View More Of Our AFL News